Friday, September 17, 2010

Bridal Shower Gifts

I had a bridal shower to go to last weekend. Being the masochist that I am, I decided to make the gift. Aprons are popular right now and I had seen a tutorial for making oven mitts that I wanted to try.

I stopped at my local quilt shop and bought some Amy Butler "Love" fabric (totally appropriate) and some Insul-Bright, which is the stuff you line hot pads and oven mitts with. My guess is they have it somewhere at Joann's as well.

After more work than I had originally planned, here is the outcome:

Super crappy photos taken just before wrapping the gift. I made these late at night and spent the next day driving all over creation for the Valley of the Sun Quilt Shop Hop and then came home for 5 seconds to wrap the gift and then head to the shower. I was beat. And in no mood to take decent photos with artistic angles.

Here are the oven mitts:

I love them! I wanted to keep them and the apron. You can't tell from the photo but the apron pockets are lined in the red dot from the oven mitts. And I used what was left of the green dot to bind the mitts. I found the tutorial on Skip to My Lou through Cluck, Cluck, Sew's blog. It's pretty darn simple. The most time-consuming part is machine quilting the layers together. I just did diagonal lines, nothing fancy.

I used Simplicity pattern 2555, view A, but lined the pockets and made them smaller. I used 1 yard of roses for the apron, facing, and oven mitts; 1/2 yard green dot for the pockets, ties, and binding on the mitts; and 1 fat quarter of red dots for the pocket lining and oven mitts.

Together all the fabrics just make me feel happy and I hope she loves them as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment